On 21st June 1940, the German armies were advancing rapidly across France and had reached the D31 at Les Petites Cigognes, near Cussay. That same day three young Frenchmen on a motorcycle were seeking to get through to the south-west to continue the resistance. Just up the La Pouge road from here they came across German troops. One of their number, Eugène Veyune, was shot and killed in the skirmish. The other two men, Henri Ols and Raymond Santellier, were captured and executed here, at the roadside. The following day the Armstice was signed and the main road, the D31, became the ceasefire line between German-occupied France and Vichy France.
This replacement memorial was dedicated in a ceremony in June 2013. There is a report of the proceedings here.
There are more photographs of the memorial and the location below the fold.