South Portland Street Suspension Bridge, Glasgow

South Portland Street Suspension Bridge

South Portland Street Suspension Bridge

A handheld view looking south along the South Portland Street Suspension Bridge across the River Clyde in central Glasgow.

The bridge has had a chequered history, replacing a wooden predecessor built to an 1832 Robert Stevenson design. The wrought iron suspension bridge was begun in 1851, but quickly suffered a major setback when the south tower suffered a serious structural failure. The original gas lamps are now lit by electricity.

More information on the Glasgow City Council website here and the RCAHMS website here.